Search This Blog

Monday, June 13, 2011

Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay book review

If you like historical fiction with an element of mystery, you'll enjoy Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay.

If you know anything about me, you know I don't read a lot of adult fiction. Most of my reading is comprised of juvenile and young adult fiction. But when I saw Russian Winter on the new book display, I had to read it. I'm guilty when it comes to judging a book by its cover. I know I shouldn't but I totally do. But the cover to Russian Winter just drew me in: the back of a woman with an amber necklace. Who was this woman? What was the significance of the necklace? Intriguing-I loved it. And I really enjoyed the book as well.

Russian Winter alternates between the present and the past with three main characters. Nina Revskaya, a famous ballerina who danced for the Bolshoi Ballet in Russia and later defected to the United States; Drew Brooks, an auction house representative and Grigori Solodin, a foreign language professor. When Nina decides to put her extensive jewelry collection up for auction, the three main characters' lives collide. Each character learns that life isn't always what it appears to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment