Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What I'm Reading

Ever wonder what your local children's librarian is reading? Here's a list of books I'm currently reading in my free time when I'm not working at the library.

Athletic Shorts: Six Short Stories by Chris Crutcher - I've heard that Chris Crutcher is one of those authors that all children's/young adult librarians should read. Admittedly, this is the first book I've read by him, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it and will definitely be reading more books by him. In Athletic Shorts Crutcher brings back characters from his novels. In the introduction, he writes that he often gets letters asking what happens to his characters after his books end. He said that once the book ends, he leaves it to the readers to decide that happens to his characters. But sometimes the characters don't leave him and this is how he wrote Athletic Shorts. I would recommend this book to young adults who like sports and are reluctant readers.

Princess in Waiting by Meg Cabot - I'm listening to the 4th book in the Princess Diaries series on my way to and from work and on long drives. The narrator is Clea Lewis and while she isn't Anne Hathaway, she does a good job. I've read all of the books in this series except #10, Princess Mia, and I decided to re-read them all before reading the last book. What better way to re-read them but to listen to them! The book starts out with Mia making her debut in Genovia. She can't wait until she returns to New York City to see her new boyfriend Michael.

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson - I'm reading this on my Kindle. When Ginny's Aunt Peg unexpectedly passes away, she leaves Ginny 13 letters. The first letter begins a scavenger hunt type trip in which Ginny must go to different countries and perform a task as specified by her Aunt Peg. As she completes each task, she can open the next envelope. Her journey begins in London, England and takes her all over Europe. Teens who enjoy Sarah Dessen and Megan McCafferty's books will enjoy 13 Little Blue Envelopes.

How do I keep all these books straight and not get them confused with each other? Good question! I've always read more than one book at a time and I'm usually able to keep them all straight. But sometimes I do get things mixed up, so I just try to read different kinds of books. There's a couple other titles I just recently started, but I'll blog about them another day!

So, what are you reading? Leave a comment and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment