Search This Blog

Monday, March 26, 2012

Seen the movie? Now read the book! The Help by Kathryn Stockett




Has there ever been so much hype about a book that you just didn’t want to read it? That’s how I felt about The Help when it first came out. So many people were reading it (my mom, my aunt, my cousin to name a few) and saying how wonderful it was that I had no interest in reading it.

Skip ahead two years when the movie was released. I had seen previews for the movie and thought I’d like to see it. My friends and I went to see it shortly after it came out in the theaters and I absolutely loved it. After watching the movie I was determined to read the book.

It would probably be another four months before I would finally read the book. My sister was reading the book while we were on vacation in December and she couldn’t put it down. My sister doesn’t read nearly as much as I do and is known for not finishing books. When I saw her tear through the book at record breaking speed I knew I had to read it.

I finally read it and was so happy that I did. Why hadn’t I listened to all those people when the book first came out? While the movie was good, the book was great. Have you noticed that this is often the case? The book is almost always better than the movie. There are so many details that can’t be included in the movie. But the movie did a good job of bring the book to life.

After witnessing the poor treatment of the “Help” at the homes of her good friends, Eugenia “Skeeter” Phelan, decides to interview Aibileen, her friend Elizabeth’s African-American housekeeper. Skeeter wants Aibileen to talk about the good and bad parts of working for a white Southern family. At first Aibileen is reluctant to talk to Skeeter, but eventually decides to corroborate with her and even brings in her best friend Minny. During a time in American history where there is much civil disrest, this is a dangerous thing for Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny to do.

So now that I've FINALLY read The Help, I have to read Moneyball and The Descendants, both books that have been made into movies, which I’ve seen but not read. And all former Oscar contenders which I think is pretty awesome.

If you haven’t read The Help, I highly recommend you do. The library has eleven copies! Make sure to check out your copy today. And while you're at it, see if the movie is here too!

No comments:

Post a Comment